• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Judiciary

Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

by NewsNet Nigeria
43 seconds ago
in Judiciary, Local News
Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

The Palace of the Obi of Ogwashi-Uku, HRM Obi (Dr.) Ifechukwude Aninshi Okonjo II, has dismissed as misleading a recent petition sent to Delta State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, by four individuals identified as Onyenor Ogwu, Pius Izediunor, Nodu Izediunor and PC Izediunor, describing it as an attempt to reopen a matter that has already been decided with finality by the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

The petitioners, who described themselves as representatives of an “Umu Obi Izediunor Royal Family” and an “Obi Dieyi Royal Family,” had alleged that buildings were demolished, fences erected and access to some properties restricted at Ogbenti-Obi Quarters in Ogwashi-Uku, and urged the Governor to intervene.

Responding on behalf of the Palace, Prince Onyema Okonjo, Chief of Staff to the Obi of Ogwashi-Uku, described the petitioners as recalcitrant serial losers who have refused to accept defeat despite losing the case at every level of the Nigerian judicial system, including twice at the Supreme Court. According to Prince Onyema Okonjo, “They are delusional and in denial and have refused to accept the reality of their situation.”

“This is not a fresh or unresolved dispute,” Prince Okonjo said. “The Delta State High Court ordered this same faction to vacate the Palace premises as far back as 2007. That judgment went to the Court of Appeal, which affirmed it. It went to the Supreme Court, which affirmed it. It went to the Supreme Court a second time, and was affirmed again. There is nothing left to litigate. What we are dealing with is a recalcitrant faction of serial litigants who have lost this case repeatedly and simply refuse to accept it.”

ALSO READ  Ogwashi-Uku Youth Stakeholders Condemn Dissident Group, Warn Against Actions That Could Threaten Peace

According to Prince Okonjo, rather than comply with the 2007 judgment, members and supporters of the Izediunor faction spent the years that followed selling portions of the ancestral Palace land to third parties and erecting structures on it, in defiance of the subsisting court order.

It was not until February 2021, he said, after all avenues of appeal had been exhausted, that court bailiffs, accompanied by police officers, moved in to execute the judgment and evict the occupants. A Certificate of Possession was subsequently issued to the Obi of Ogwashi-Uku, formally confirming legal title and possession of the premises.

“Even after the eviction and the issuance of the certificate of possession, some individuals refused to leave and continued to occupy parts of the grounds,” Prince Okonjo said. “What has now happened is that the Palace completed the fencing of its own premises and cleared illegal structures that had no business being there, on land it has held a valid court judgment and certificate over for years. That is not demolition in the sense the petition suggests. That is a property owner enforcing a Supreme Court judgment on his own land.”

ALSO READ  NCAA Grounds Private Jet, Suspends Operator After Unauthorised Road Landing in Delta

The Palace also linked the recent petition to an ongoing criminal trial before the Federal High Court, Asaba Division, in Charge No. FHC/ASB/18C/2024, in which individuals connected to the Izediunor faction — including Mike Nwaukoni and Francis Okolie, also known as “Mayor” — are standing trial on charges of terrorism, attempted murder, attempting to force their way into the Palace, which led to security officials being attacked, waging communal war, and destruction of police vehicles. The prosecution has closed its case in that trial, and the defence is expected to open shortly. It is as a result of this incident that the Palace premises needed to be further secured and fortified.

Prince Okonjo further noted that the security works at the premises were carried out with police presence sanctioned by the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioner of Police for Delta State, and questioned why a matter already settled by the Supreme Court, and enforced with the knowledge of the police high command, should require executive intervention.

ALSO READ  Ogwashi-Uku Wins Again: High Court Rejects Ibusa's Execution Bid in Land Dispute

“The Obi of Ogwashi-Uku recovered his ancestral Palace grounds through the courts, all the way to the Supreme Court, twice,” he said. “He showed patience by allowing some occupants time on the premises rather than enforcing his rights immediately and fully. That patience is now being repaid with a petition asking the Governor to look again at a case the highest court in the country has already closed.”

“We understand that some people find it difficult to move on after losing at the Supreme Court, but that difficulty cannot be turned into a licence to keep dragging a settled matter back to the public square. Furthermore, there is no Izediunor who was ever a legitimate Obi of Ogwashi-Uku. The courts have already made that clear. They are illegitimate usurpers and were illegal occupants of the Palace premises,” Prince Okonjo said. “This case is closed. What remains is for the law to be respected.”

Efforts to reach the petitioners for further comment were not immediately successful at the time of filing this report.

Previous Post

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

MORE NEWS

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota
Local News

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

August 20, 2026
Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee
Local News

Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

August 18, 2026
Opete Indigenes Reject Crisis Claims, Pass Vote of No Confidence in Okpako Orere
Local News

Opete Indigenes Reject Crisis Claims, Pass Vote of No Confidence in Okpako Orere

August 11, 2026
Major Ovwufeti Rejects Outcome of Ughelli North Council Meeting, Insists Court Will Decide Evwreni Traditional Disputes
Local News

Major Ovwufeti Rejects Outcome of Ughelli North Council Meeting, Insists Court Will Decide Evwreni Traditional Disputes

August 3, 2026
Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

August 20, 2026
‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

August 20, 2026
UPU Youth Wing Backs Dafinone for Second Term, Cites Jobs, Youth Empowerment

UPU Youth Wing Backs Dafinone for Second Term, Cites Jobs, Youth Empowerment

August 19, 2026
Davido vs Wande Coal: How Five-Year-Old Song Reignites Afrobeats Feud

Davido vs Wande Coal: How Five-Year-Old Song Reignites Afrobeats Feud

August 19, 2026
16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

August 19, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke Beats Oyebamiji by 66,252 Votes to Win Second Term as Osun Governor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • At 104, Pa Penawou Takes Final Bow as Jonathan, Oborevwori, Diri, Ibori Pay Tribute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Airport Escape Plan Collapses as NDLEA Nabs ‘KC Luxury’ in ₦39bn Cocaine Cartel Probe

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Two Candidates Quit Race, Endorse Adeleke

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.