• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, August 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

JUST IN: U.S. backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO job

by NewsNet Nigeria
6 years ago
in Economy, World News
JUST IN: U.S. backs Okonjo-Iweala for WTO job
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

The United States government on Friday declared its support for Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, to emerge as the director general of the World Trade Organisation.

The U.S. declared its endorsement for Okonjo-Iweala in a statement by its office of trade representative.

The U.S. statement read below:

The United States takes note of today’s decision by the Republic of Korea’s Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee to withdraw her candidacy for Director General of the World Trade Organization (WTO).

The Biden-Harris Administration is pleased to express its strong support for the candidacy of Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the next Director General of the WTO. Dr. Okonjo-Iweala brings a wealth of knowledge in economics and international diplomacy from her 25 years with the World Bank and two terms as Nigerian Finance Minister. She is widely respected for her effective leadership and has proven experience managing a large international organization with a diverse membership.

The Biden-Harris Administration also congratulates Minister Yoo Myung-hee on her strong campaign for this position. She is a trailblazer as the Republic of Korea’s first female trade minister and the first candidate from Korea to advance this far in the Director General selection process. The United States respects her decision to withdraw her candidacy from the Director General race to help facilitate a consensus decision at the WTO.

It is particularly important to underscore that two highly qualified women made it to the final round of consideration for the position of WTO Director General — the first time that any woman has made it to this stage in the history of the institution.

The United States stands ready to engage in the next phase of the WTO process for reaching a consensus decision on the WTO Director General. The Biden-Harris Administration looks forward to working with a new WTO Director General to find paths forward to achieve necessary substantive and procedural reform of the WTO.

It became clear earlier on Friday that Okonjo-Iweala, a former finance minister and World Bank executive, would likely clinch the coveted post after her final challenger to the position, South Korean Trade Minister and candidate, Yoo Myung-hee, announced her withdrawal.

Ms Yoo made the decision after discussions with the U.S. and other major nations, a statement from Korea’s trade ministry said on Friday.

She also took various issues into account “comprehensively” including the need to revitalise the multilateral organization, reports said Friday.

(PREMIUM TIMES)

Previous Post

Former Delta SSG consoles Ogrih on father’s death

Next Post

Ighalo blames Solskjaer for lack of game time at Man United

MORE NEWS

Auto Draft
Economy

Oborevwori Woos Farmers, Investors With Roads, Power as Delta Pushes Beyond Oil

August 22, 2026
Bitcoin, Gold Climb as US Bond Move Rekindles Dollar Weakness Fears
Economy

Bitcoin, Gold Climb as US Bond Move Rekindles Dollar Weakness Fears

August 22, 2026
Tinubu Fires 2027 Warning, Vows to Fight Until the Very End
Crime

ICPC Finds Another ‘Fake Agency’ in OSGF, Tinubu Orders Arrest

August 22, 2026
12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost
Celebration

12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

August 20, 2026
Next Post
Ighalo blames Solskjaer for lack of game time at Man United

Ighalo blames Solskjaer for lack of game time at Man United

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

Auto Draft

Oborevwori Woos Farmers, Investors With Roads, Power as Delta Pushes Beyond Oil

August 22, 2026
Asu Ekiye: Wife Walked Out, Filed for Divorce

Asu Ekiye: Wife Walked Out, Filed for Divorce

August 22, 2026
Bitcoin, Gold Climb as US Bond Move Rekindles Dollar Weakness Fears

Bitcoin, Gold Climb as US Bond Move Rekindles Dollar Weakness Fears

August 22, 2026
Davido vs Okpebholo: Edo Disowns ‘Ban’ After Governor’s Aide Warns Singer

Davido vs Okpebholo: Edo Disowns ‘Ban’ After Governor’s Aide Warns Singer

August 22, 2026
Tinubu Fires 2027 Warning, Vows to Fight Until the Very End

ICPC Finds Another ‘Fake Agency’ in OSGF, Tinubu Orders Arrest

August 22, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Asu Ekiye: Wife Walked Out, Filed for Divorce

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.