• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Environment

Flooding: Delta govt sues for cooperation from Ogbeogonogo market traders on Under Ground Storm Project

by NewsNet Nigeria
3 years ago
in Environment, News
Flooding: Delta govt sues for cooperation from Ogbeogonogo market traders on Under Ground Storm Project
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

Delta State Government has expressed concern over the attitude of traders at the popular Ogbeogonogo Market in Asaba, towards the early completion of the multi-million naira Under Ground Storm Project that passes through the market to the River Niger.

The State Commissioner for Works, Highway and Urban Roads, Comrade Reuben Izeze said in an interview that the project is complex and that the expected cooperation from the traders was lacking at the site.

The ever-busy Ogbeogonogo market, located along Dennis Osadebay Way in Asaba, is the major market in the state capital, with high human traffic on a daily basis.

According to the Commissioner, the Under Ground Storm Project is part of the state government’s master plan to rid the capital territory of any form of flooding in the city whenever it rains.

He said it is designed to channel waters flowing from parts of the Okpanam Road, Nnebuisi Road and Dennis Osadebay Way as well as adjoining roads and streets into the river Niger.

Works Commissioner, Highway and Urban Roads, however, berated the traders for their uncooperative disposition towards speedy execution of the project as they had refused to take a break to allow the contractor work.

Comrade Izeze explained that to disabuse the minds of the public of any allegation, stating that so far so good, the contractor is achieving the milestone within the timeline.

The Commissioner maintained that ordinarily, the traders ought to have temporarily vacated the market as remaining there poses a lot of danger, even with the heavy rains, saying that there is a tendency of mudslides in the locality.

Izeze stated that rather than the traders blaming the contractor for being slow in handling the project, the state government is appealing to them to take a break and allow the contractor to work as their presence is slowing the pace of work.

The Commissioner for Works, Highway and Urban Roads disclosed that the Governor, Sheriff Oborevwori is worried about the development and had called for the understanding of the traders for their own safety.

Stressing the popular saying that states “No Pain, No Gain”, Izeze who acknowledged that the times are hard, pointed out that there is no development that comes without inconvenience.

He said upon the completion of the project, the traders will have a better trading environment and the capital city territory will be completely free from flood menace.

Comrade Izeze disclosed that the project is expected to be completed within two months and restated the government’s commitment to providing a healthy living environment for Deltans and residents in the state.

The ongoing construction work no doubt has disrupted the volume of commercial activities in the market, which informed the traders to call for speedy completion of the project.

The traders had appealed to the state government to prevail on the contractor handling the underground water storm sewage to speed up the construction work as the slow pace of work was affecting their trades.

While appreciating the project and the government’s good intention to address the flooding problem in Asaba, the traders alleged that the contractor seems not to have the required capacity for early completion of the project.

They said since the project started patronage has been very minimal due to the hazards created by excavations of the area, stressing that life was becoming unbearable for them.

Previous Post

Akeredolu resumes duty

Next Post

Tribunal upholds Ereyintomi’s victory, dismisses Ekpoto’s petition

MORE NEWS

Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee
Local News

Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

August 18, 2026
Muslims or Christians? Enenche Wants Census to End Nigeria’s Numbers Game
National News

Muslims or Christians? Enenche Wants Census to End Nigeria’s Numbers Game

August 17, 2026
Opete Indigenes Reject Crisis Claims, Pass Vote of No Confidence in Okpako Orere
Local News

Opete Indigenes Reject Crisis Claims, Pass Vote of No Confidence in Okpako Orere

August 11, 2026
Military Rescues 363 Kidnap Victims, Neutralises 69 Terrorists in One Week
National News

Military Rescues 363 Kidnap Victims, Neutralises 69 Terrorists in One Week

August 9, 2026
Next Post
Tribunal upholds Ereyintomi’s victory, dismisses Ekpoto’s petition

Tribunal upholds Ereyintomi's victory, dismisses Ekpoto's petition

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

UPU Youth Wing Backs Dafinone for Second Term, Cites Jobs, Youth Empowerment

UPU Youth Wing Backs Dafinone for Second Term, Cites Jobs, Youth Empowerment

August 19, 2026
Davido vs Wande Coal: How Five-Year-Old Song Reignites Afrobeats Feud

Davido vs Wande Coal: How Five-Year-Old Song Reignites Afrobeats Feud

August 19, 2026
16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

August 19, 2026
NLC Sounds Fresh Alarm Over Health Workers’ Pay Dispute, Strike Looms

NLC Sounds Fresh Alarm Over Health Workers’ Pay Dispute, Strike Looms

August 19, 2026
The Battle Is On: Tinubu, Rivals Launch 2027 Presidential Campaign Season

The Battle Is On: Tinubu, Rivals Launch 2027 Presidential Campaign Season

August 19, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oghara Doctor’s Assault: DELSUTH Resident Doctors Give Three-Day Ultimatum, Threaten Indefinite Strike

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke Beats Oyebamiji by 66,252 Votes to Win Second Term as Osun Governor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • At 104, Pa Penawou Takes Final Bow as Jonathan, Oborevwori, Diri, Ibori Pay Tribute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Two Candidates Quit Race, Endorse Adeleke

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.