• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

COVID-19: FG slams travel ban on 100 Nigerians

by NewsNet Nigeria
5 years ago
in Health
COVID-19: FG slams travel ban on 100 Nigerians
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

The Federal Government on Saturday slammed a six-month travel ban on 100 passengers who failed to undergo the compulsory COVID-19 test after their return to the country.

The affected persons will not be allowed to leave Nigeria earlier than June 30, 2021, the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 announced yesterday.

“The PTF has placed travel restrictions on the first 100 passengers for non-compliance to the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 test,” the PTF tweeted.

The restriction took effect from January 1, 2021 and will end at the end of June.

The names of the defaulters were not mentioned but a list containing their passport numbers was attached to the tweet.

It said all the people had been personally contacted.

In a separate statement, Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Mr. Boss Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said: “Based on presidential authority, travel restrictions are being placed on the following passports due to non-compliance to the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 PCR tests.

“Defaulting passengers have been notified and will be prevented from travelling out of the country during this period.”

A top source in PTF told The Nation that the list of the affected Nigerians had “been sent to the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) and other security agencies to stop them from travelling out.

“Any further defiance may lead to the cancellation of their passports. We are no longer going to tolerate any laxity on the part of any Nigerian, no matter how highly-placed,” the source said.

On his part, the Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, in a tweet, said: “We understand Nigerians’ urge to relax on compliance measures for #COVID19 prevention after a difficult year. The challenge is:  this virus doesn’t recognise human necessities to celebrate.

“Therefore we’ve sustained the response and must collectively take responsibility.”

“Thank you Nigerians and our partners for the support, as we led the public health response to the #COVID19 pandemic and other disease outbreaks in 2020.

“As the pandemic continues, please take responsibility. We remain committed to our mandate in protecting the health of Nigerians.”

Meanwhile, investigation confirmed last night that President Muhammadu Buhari may determine the fate of states with lukewarm attitude to COVID-19 management.

Some states were alleged to have shut down testing laboratories and isolation centres.

A PTF member said: “I think the President will determine the fate of recalcitrant states. In fact, some people have been pushing for the seizure of their monthly statutory allocations and other forms of sanctions.

“On our part, we have initiated discussions with the leadership of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) on how to offer the best to Nigerians in this trying period.”

The SGF had on Tuesday listed the challenges being faced from the states by the PTF.

He also spoke on the expectations of the PTF from states.

Mustapha said: “You will recall that we recently issued some protocols to states which a number of states have been actively implementing. We thank these states and urge others to follow suit.

“Closely related to these protocols is the fact that the strategy of testing to detect and treat remains central to the role states are expected to play.

“Data show that despite the resources already made available to sub-national entities, testing is very low across states in varying degrees. This is not helping our national response.

“Indeed, some states have not reported any infections in several weeks. Reports received also point to the fact that laboratories recently established in the states are not working optimally.

“You will recall that we moved from two laboratories to about 90 (public & private) located in all states of the federation.

“Their inability to function optimally has resulted in unacceptable levels of delay in receiving results and pressure on the National Reference Labs.

“We wish to urge all states to reopen all laboratories and ensure that testing is expanded and turnaround time for results is substantially reduced.

‘In the same vein, states should please keep their isolation/treatment centres open because of the rising cases of infection nationwide.”

(THE NATION)

Previous Post

Massive transfer of Policemen in Sapele as cult war rages

Next Post

Tinubu does not have COVID-19 – Media Aide

MORE NEWS

New Health Fellows Meet Dafinone, Step In to Tackle Silent Killers in Delta Central
Health

New Health Fellows Meet Dafinone, Step In to Tackle Silent Killers in Delta Central

February 17, 2026
Delta Central in Focus as Dafinone, LIF Drive Sustainable Eye Care Initiative
Health

Delta Central in Focus as Dafinone, LIF Drive Sustainable Eye Care Initiative

February 11, 2026
Police Recover Stolen Mercedes-Benz GLK on Sale at Asaba Parking Lot
Health

Delta Govt Pushes Back on Aproko Doctor’s Claims, Cites 300 PHC Upgrades

February 7, 2026
Agbor, Ibusa Benefit as Nwoko Expands Free Medical Outreach in Delta North
Health

Agbor, Ibusa Benefit as Nwoko Expands Free Medical Outreach in Delta North

February 5, 2026
Next Post
Tinubu does not have COVID-19 – Media Aide

Tinubu does not have COVID-19 – Media Aide

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

Waive Urges Urgent Voter Registration Push as Delta Central Votes Shrink

House in Uproar: Francis Waive’s Motion on Electoral Act Sparks Fierce Debate

February 17, 2026
Delta Central Youths Urge Senator Ede Dafinone to Seek Re-election in 2027

2027 Mandate Beyond Rhetoric: Why Senator Dafinone Remains A Critical Voice For Urhobo Nation

February 17, 2026
New Health Fellows Meet Dafinone, Step In to Tackle Silent Killers in Delta Central

New Health Fellows Meet Dafinone, Step In to Tackle Silent Killers in Delta Central

February 17, 2026
Ned Nwoko Hits Back at Regina Daniels’ Drug Denial, Questions Credibility of Recent Test

Ned Nwoko: Why Delta North Needs a Corruption-Free Senator in 2027

February 17, 2026
Inside the Budget Room: Ned Nwoko Probes Spending Across Four Sectors

Inside the Budget Room: Ned Nwoko Probes Spending Across Four Sectors

February 17, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Major John Ovwufeti (Rtd) Emerges 16th Odion Orode of Evwreni Kingdom

    Major John Ovwufeti (Rtd) Emerges 16th Odion Orode of Evwreni Kingdom

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta High Court Orders Demolition of Illegal Fence-Shops, Awards Damages Against Ministry, Uvwie Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • House in Uproar: Francis Waive’s Motion on Electoral Act Sparks Fierce Debate

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Grassroots Revolt in Delta North as APC Ward Chairmen Demand Fresh Congress

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Dokpesi Jr Defends DAAR Shake-Up, Says Painful Decisions Saved Company

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.