Major stakeholders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Delta State have birthed a new political pressure christened, Delta Unity Group (DUG) to galvanise and mobilise support for the party’s governorship candidate in the state, Olorogun David Edevbie for him to emerge victorious in the 2023 general elections.
The group’s maiden meeting on Wednesday was presided over by the Protem Chairman and former Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Peter Onwusanya, in Kwale headquarters of Ndokwa West Local Government Area of the state.
Bigwigs of Delta PDP who attended the Kwale meeting include Protem Secretary, Comrade Michael Akpobire, former Executive Secretary, Delta State Technical & Vocational Education Board; Rt Hon Ossai N Ossai, Member, Federal House of Representatives; Rt Hon Monday Igbuya, former Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly and former Chairman of Sapele Local Government Council; Hon Chiedu Ebie, former Secretary to the Delta State Government; Professor Patrick Mobuoghare, former Delta Commissioner for Higher Education; Sir Itiako Ikpokpo, former Chairman Delta ALGON; Chief Morrison Olori; Chief Patrick Egone; Chief Henry Nzekwe; Hon Larry Ezechi; Hon Daniel Reyenieju; Dr Isaac Akpoveta; Timi Brisibe; Hon Dr Karo Ilolo; Chief Vincent Uduaghan; Chief Godwin Abigor; Chief Frank Omare; Hon John Greatman Chukwuka; Odio Berkely Asiafa; Chief Bright Oweikeyi; Mr. Stanley Odali; Chief Alade Odiri; Hon Fred Ofume; Hon Christopher Izu; Hon John Aleh, Hon Fred Ofume; Hon Christopher Izu; Chief Felix Ndukwe; Hon John Aleh; Hon Eloka Nwanze; Comrade Uche Osadebe and Ms Orode Uduaghan.
Below is the six-point communique issued at the end of the meeting:
1. That Delta Unity Group fully supports the HE Abubakar Atiku/HE Ifeanyi Okowa “Rescue Nigeria” Presidential ticket of the PDP and resolves to work assiduously across Delta State, the Niger Delta and South-South Zone to ensure the victory of the party in the 2023 Presidential Election.
2. That leaders of Delta PDP at all levels should show greater commitment to the unity of the party and put its interest as paramount in all their interactions and activities. The Delta Unity Group also advised the State Chairman of the Party to always play the role of an impartial arbiter in the handling of all emerging disputes.
3. That, without prejudice to the pending appeal over the candidacy of Delta PDP for the 2023 Governorship election, the Delta Unity Group stands firmly with Olorogun David Edevbie as the lawful and authentic candidate of the party in line with the unambiguous declarative judgement of the Federal High Court, Abuja, and commits to ensuring the total victory of the PDP in the 2023 Governorship election.
4. That it urges all Deltans to embrace the Modernisation Agenda of Olorogun David Edevbie as the only sure manifesto for the sustainable socioeconomic development and growth of the state and the prosperity of all Deltans.
5. That it encourages the National leadership of the party to show characteristic example in abiding by the Rule of Law and to promptly forward the nomination of Olorogun David Edevbie to the Independent National Electoral Commission in line with the subsisting order of court, unless and until there is a contrary order.
6. Delta Unity Group calls on all party members to restrain themselves from making negative and provocative statements about the Party’s candidates at all levels in order to ensure unity, peace and sanctity within the Delta PDP family, as we work towards the overwhelming victory of all our candidates in 2023.