Property worth millions of naira were on Sunday afternoon razed down by fire at the popular Ogbe-Ijaw market in Warri South Local Government Area, Delta State.
It was a bleak afternoon for many traders as fire raised some shops in the market.
A number of the traders were at home when the fire reportedly started at around 2pm, Sunday.
Following distress calls to them, the traders rushed to the market to find their shops and goods going up in flames.
A number of them wade openly, many of them in shock and confusion.
The State Fire Service and Red Cross in Warri South Council Area, mobilised to the market to put out the fire and ensure a measure of orderliness.
Head of the Red Cross, Mr Francis Tamigbe, said they received a distress call around 2pm that there was a fire outbreak in the market and quickly mobilised to put out the fire.
Mr Tamigbe said men of the Delta State Fire Service were on ground to help fight the fire.
Some traders said all their life savings were consumed in the fire.
They called on the Warri South Local Government Chairman, Dr Michael Tidi and Governor Ifeanyi Okowa to come to their rescue.
It was not clear what started the fire but people are pointing accusing fingers at some persons who live inside the market and usually cook there.