• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Manchester United terminates Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract

by NewsNet Nigeria
4 years ago
in Sports
Manchester United terminates Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

Cristiano Ronaldo has left Manchester United, the club has confirmed in a statement, while the Glazer family are reportedly considering selling off the club.

The development comes a week after Ronaldo unsettled the club in an outspoken TV interview.

In the short statement, the club said they had reached a mutual agreement with the player to terminate his contract.

“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future,” the statement read.

“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”

Ronaldo subsequently issued a statement, saying it was time for him to “seek a new challenge”.

“Following talks with Manchester United, we’ve mutually agreed to end our contract. I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change.

ALSO READ  Cristiano Ronaldo Bows Out of Final World Cup in Tears as Spain End Portugal's Dream

“However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge. I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”

In the explosive interview with Talk TV presenter Piers Morgan, Ronaldo said he “felt betrayed” by Manchester United, insisting that the club were trying to force him out of the club.

He added that he had “no respect” for manager Erik ten Hag.

“I don’t have respect for him because he doesn’t show respect for me,” Ronaldo said of Ten Hag. “If you don’t respect me, I’m never gonna have respect for you.”

The 37-year-old striker enjoyed hero status at Old Trafford due to his glorious first spell at the club between 2003 and 2009, during which his goals powered Manchester United to three successive Premier League titles and a Champions League triumph in 2008.

ALSO READ  Cristiano Ronaldo Bows Out of Final World Cup in Tears as Spain End Portugal's Dream

He re-joined the club from Juventus at the beginning of the 2021-22 season, however, despite scoring 24 goals across all competitions, Manchester United’s form slumped overall, the club falling from runners-up in 2021 to sixth in 2022, missing out on Champions League football and leading to the departure of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Portuguese superstar subsequently fell out of favour with incoming Dutch manager Ten Hag, culminating in his outburst in last week’s TV interview.

Ronaldo is currently with the Portugal squad in Qatar, where they open their World Cup campaign against Ghana on Thursday.

Manchester United also could be sold after the Glazer family announced they were “exploring strategic alternatives” for the club.

ALSO READ  Cristiano Ronaldo Bows Out of Final World Cup in Tears as Spain End Portugal's Dream

The unpopular American owners – who have faced significant fan opposition during their tenure – appear to be prepared to relinquish control after 17 years in charge.

In a statement, the club said the board of directors were starting a process “designed to enhance the club’s future growth” with the intention of maximising opportunities on and off the pitch.

“As part of this process, the board will consider all strategic alternatives, including new investment into the club, a sale, or other transactions involving the company,” said the statement.

“This will include an assessment of several initiatives to strengthen the club, including stadium and infrastructure redevelopment, and expansion of the club’s commercial operations on a global scale, each in the context of enhancing the long-term success of the club’s men’s, women’s and academy teams, and bringing benefits to fans and other stakeholders.” (RTE)

Previous Post

2023: Get ready to vote candidates of your choice, Prophet Ariole tells Nigerians

Next Post

Class of 97 College of Commerce Old Students Association, Warri, holds 25yrs reunion, end-of-year party

MORE NEWS

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall
Sports

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

August 19, 2026
From Three Final Defeats to Glory: Cameroon Lift First WAFCON Crown
Sports

From Three Final Defeats to Glory: Cameroon Lift First WAFCON Crown

August 17, 2026
Warri Unity Games: Oborevwori Backs Olu’s Push to Heal Old Divides
Sports

Warri Unity Games: Oborevwori Backs Olu’s Push to Heal Old Divides

August 17, 2026
Oborevwori Celebrates 16-Year-Old Esiovwa-Thompson After Nigeria’s Historic Commonwealth U-23 Epee Gold
Sports

‘You Have Made Us Proud’: Dafinone Hails 16-Year-Old Deltan After Historic Fencing Gold

August 14, 2026
Next Post
Class of 97 College of Commerce Old Students Association, Warri, holds 25yrs reunion, end-of-year party

Class of 97 College of Commerce Old Students Association, Warri, holds 25yrs reunion, end-of-year party

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

“Good Morning, Tony”: Elumelu’s Correction Sparks Debate Over Nigerian Respect Culture

“Good Morning, Tony”: Elumelu’s Correction Sparks Debate Over Nigerian Respect Culture

August 21, 2026
12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

August 20, 2026
Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

August 20, 2026
Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

August 20, 2026
‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

August 20, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke Beats Oyebamiji by 66,252 Votes to Win Second Term as Osun Governor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.