• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Anthony Joshua lands in hospital over suspected broken eye socket after Oleksandr Usyk loss

by NewsNet Nigeria
5 years ago
in Sports
Anthony Joshua lands in hospital over suspected broken eye socket after Oleksandr Usyk loss
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

Agency Reporter 

Anthony Joshua was taken to hospital with a suspected broken eye socket after his battering by Oleksandr Usyk.

And promoter Eddie Hearn revealed the deposed heavyweight champ could not see out of it after the ninth round of his heavy points defeat.

Joshua failed to make use of his 18lb weight advantage over former cruiserweight king Usyk, who landed a barrage of heavy southpaw shots throughout the bout at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

By the 10th round of a thrilling contest, AJ had a visible black and swollen eye as Usyk took control of the bout.

The Ukrainian finished with a flourish in the final rounds to put the result beyond doubt and seal the unanimous 117-112, 116-112 and 115-113 win at the new White Hart Lane.

Joshua was promptly escorted from the ring and taken to hospital for tests.

Hearn said afterwards: “He will go to hospital.

“I don’t know if he has broken his eye socket, it doesn’t look great.”

“He said he couldn’t see after the ninth round, obviously he was getting tagged a lot as well.

“His power looked like it had left him, the tank was empty and it was only heart which kept him on his feet in the 12th round.”

After the fight, Joshua said: “From the ninth I couldn’t see. I couldn’t see anything really.

“My eye was shut but it was a good experience because in adversity you’ve just got to learn to control yourself and stay on top of things.”

Hearn also said AJ would have a mandatory rematch and the Brit felt he already knew how he could beat Usyk next time around.

Hearn told BBC Radio 5 Live: “He is already talking about the rematch now.

“The first thing he said was ‘I know I can beat him, I know exactly what I have to do’.

“(He said that) back in the changing room just now. You talk about the rematch, but doing it is something very different.”

“Knowing AJ, knowing the position he is in, knowing that he will have a shot to get his belts back, there is absolutely nothing else he will do other than a rematch.”

Joshua later posted on Instagram: “Keep positive even if the world’s crumbling in front of you!

“London I love you & thank you each and every time!”

British former super-middleweight champion Carl Froch was a pundit for the fight and said the damage to AJ’s face looked significant but not serious.

Froch added he felt AJ had shown “too much respect” to Usyk whose head movement and ring craft were the key factors as Usyk claimed AJ’s heavyweight WBA, IBF and WBO belts.

Joshua ended the fight pinned to the ropes by a flurry of punches from Usyk who said afterwards he felt he could have knocked his opponent out.

The result is the latest obstacle to AJ finally facing fellow Brit Tyson Fury in a fight the boxing world has long wanted to see.

That showdown had already been derailed because the Gypsy King now has to fight American Deontay Wilder for a third time on October 9.

(The Sun UK)

Previous Post

House of Reps Committee pledges speedy action on gully erosion menace in Agbor

Next Post

Man dies from attempt by group of boys to disarm police inspector in Delta

MORE NEWS

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall
Sports

16 Recoveries, One Big Statement: Osayi-Samuel Pushes for Super Eagles Recall

August 19, 2026
From Three Final Defeats to Glory: Cameroon Lift First WAFCON Crown
Sports

From Three Final Defeats to Glory: Cameroon Lift First WAFCON Crown

August 17, 2026
Warri Unity Games: Oborevwori Backs Olu’s Push to Heal Old Divides
Sports

Warri Unity Games: Oborevwori Backs Olu’s Push to Heal Old Divides

August 17, 2026
Oborevwori Celebrates 16-Year-Old Esiovwa-Thompson After Nigeria’s Historic Commonwealth U-23 Epee Gold
Sports

‘You Have Made Us Proud’: Dafinone Hails 16-Year-Old Deltan After Historic Fencing Gold

August 14, 2026
Next Post
Man dies from attempt by group of boys to disarm police inspector in Delta

Man dies from attempt by group of boys to disarm police inspector in Delta

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

“Good Morning, Tony”: Elumelu’s Correction Sparks Debate Over Nigerian Respect Culture

“Good Morning, Tony”: Elumelu’s Correction Sparks Debate Over Nigerian Respect Culture

August 21, 2026
12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

August 20, 2026
Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

August 20, 2026
Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

August 20, 2026
‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

‘If You Love Me, Support Tinubu’: Oborevwori Urges Christian Leaders Ahead of 2027

August 20, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    Izediunor Petition: Ogwashi-Uku Palace Says No Case Left to Litigate After Double Supreme Court Defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Okpare Olomu Dismisses Crisis Rumour, Reaffirms Moses Orokpo as Otota

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ughelli North Council Sets Otor-Iwhreko on New Course, Inaugurates Caretaker Committee

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 12 Duplexes, 12 Vehicles: Oborevwori Gives Delta Permanent Secretaries Welfare Boost

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke Beats Oyebamiji by 66,252 Votes to Win Second Term as Osun Governor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.