Delta State Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Otunba Nick Ovuakporie, has joined the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Ovuakporie, a close confidant of the Delta State APC governorship candidate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, was a major harvest for the PDP when the party’s presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, campaigned at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba.
Before becoming Delta State State Secretary of the APC, Ovuakporie, served as the party’s Director of Publicity.
Ovuakporie had in his letter of resignation dated January 23, 2023, cited among other reasons, for his action “marginalisation/neglect of the Isoko people, Itsekiris and Ijaws of Delta South senatorial district of Delta State under the APC led Federal administration, and also, the unpatriotic actions of agents of the APC administration from Delta State who treats the people of Delta South senatorial district particularly the Isoko people where I hail from as a conquered territory”.
The letter addressed to the National Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC), National Secretariat, Buhari House, Abuja, reads in full below:
LETTER OF RESIGNATION AS STATE SECRETARY ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS (APC) DELTA STATE AND AS A MEMBER OF THE PARTY
The above subject matter refers. It is with disappointment against the APC led administration that I write to resign my position as State Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Delta State as I cannot continue to function as State Secretary in good conscience having reviewed the existential marginalisation/neglect of the Isoko people, Itsekiris and Ijaws of Delta South senatorial district of Delta State under the APC led Federal administration, and also, the unpatriotic actions of agents of the APC administration from Delta State who treats the people of Delta South senatorial district particularly the Isoko people where I hail from as a conquered territory.
As State Secretary, it behooves on me the responsibility to represent and protect the political/economic interest of the Isoko people, Itsekiris and Ijaws of Delta South senatorial district whose interest, I swore to protect at all times before performing my enshrined duties in the APC constitution.
It may interest you to know that all executive appointments made by the APC led administration since 2015, has had the Isoko people of Delta South senatorial district shut out whereas, Isoko nation has contributed immensely and still contributing to the economic growth of the Nigerian State with its abundant crude oil deposit.
Other reasons informing my resignation are as encapsulated below:
1. Unwholesome meddlesomeness in the day to day party administration in Delta State by strange elements alien to the APC constitution 2022 as amended.
2. High-handedness, enshrined wickedness, unforgiving spirit of party leaders, non-reward system, disrespect to party leadership and unimaginable greed exhibited by the leadership of the APC.
3. Usurpation of the powers and functions of duly elected party officers from the wards, local government and State Executive Committee of Delta State APC by people from unexpected quarters.
4. Unbridled hatred against the Isoko people and by extension Delta South senatorial district by the leadership of the APC who have thus far ethnicised the party in the State.
5. Non impact of the APC administration in areas of infrastructural developmental projects in Delta South senatorial district particularly the Isoko nation.
6. Delibrate denial of appointments to deserving Isoko sons and daughters in the APC led administration.
7. Deliberate hijack of Isoko slots by foreign invaders in the recently awarded NNPC pipeline surveillance contract thereby portraying the Isoko people as a weak and conquered ethnic nationality with no qualified/competent man or woman to handle such a surveillance contract.
By and large, It is not in the interest of my community, electoral ward, local government, family and teaming followers to remain in the APC after all, politics is nothing but influence. Influence to attract the dividends of democracy to my people for them to enjoy basic amenities and prosperity. That I have been unable to do in my years of political sojourn with the APC.
Having painstakingly enumerated some of the reasons behind my dissatisfaction, I hereby tender my resignation as State Secretary APC Delta State and as a member of the party in protest against the injustice, oppression and existential marginalisation/hatred of the Isoko people and by extension Itsekiris and Ijaws of Delta South senatorial district by the APC led administration effective, immediately.
Otunba Nick Ovuakporie
State Secretary APC Delta State.
Elder Omeni Sobotie APC Delta State Chairman
State Working Committee (SWC) APC Delta State
State Executive Committee (SEC) APC Delta State
Local Government Chapter Chairman APC Isoko North
Chairman APC Oyede Ward 12.