• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, February 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NewsNet Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos
NewsNet Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
Home Judiciary

IGP lacks power to recruit constables – Appeal Court

by NewsNet Nigeria
5 years ago
in Judiciary
IGP lacks power to recruit constables – Appeal Court
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on Whatsapp

The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal on Wednesday set aside a judgment which validated the powers of the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, to recruit the rank of constables for the Nigeria Police Force.

The appellate court in a unanimous decision held that the IG lacked the power to recruit constables for the police force and consequently nullified the said recruitment.

The Police Service Commission (PSC) had approached the appellate court to challenge last year’s recruitment of 10,000 constables by Adamu.

However, delivering judgment in the appeal, a three-man panel of the appellate court led by Justice Olabisi Ige held that the power to carry out the recruitment was exclusively that of the Police Service Commission.

According to the appellate court, the word “appointment” used in the Constitution with respect to the powers conferred on the Police Service Commission included “the power of recruitment and or enlistment of recruit constables”.

Justice Ige stated that the police regulation and or provisions of the Police Act which purportedly vested the IGP the power of recruiting constables “is null and void being in conflict with the Constitutional powers vested in the Police Service Commission”.

He therefore declared the recruitment carried out by the IGP as null and void.

The appellate court subsequently granted all the prayers sought by the PSC in its amended suit filed at the Federal High Court.

The Commission had in September 2019, instituted the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1124/2019, to stop the IG’s recruitment process which the NPF and the IGP, had as of that time, almost concluded.

Claiming exclusive rights to recruitment of constables the PSC had prayed the lower court to nullify the process already commenced by the NPF and the IGP.

But the lower court in its judgment delivered on December 2, 2019, by Justice Inyang Ekwo, dismissed the suit for lacking in merit.

He held that the law guiding the enlistment of constables into the NPF was the Nigeria Police Regulations of 1968, issued by the Nigerian President in accordance with the provisions of Section 46 of the Police Act 1967 (No 41), providing for the organisation and administration of the police force.

The judge further stated that section 71 of the said Nigeria Police Service Regulations, 1968, gave the power to enlist constables to the Police Council and the NPF under the control of the IGP, and not the PSC.

He ruled that PSC by its enabling law retained the exclusive powers to promote, demote, dismiss and discipline any police officer apart from the IGP, adding that the Commission could only appoint constables after the recruitment exercise carried out by the NPF.

Not satisfied, the appellant through their lawyer Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN, had approached the Court of Appeal to set aside the lower court’s judgment.

(THISDAY)

Previous Post

Nigerians to pay N5 per channel as TSTV relaunches services

Next Post

Nigeria @ 60: Full text of President Buhari’s nationwide broadcast

MORE NEWS

Ogwashi-Uku Palace Secretary requests Justice Okpu to recuse self from libel, chieftaincy cases
Judiciary

Delta High Court Orders Demolition of Illegal Fence-Shops, Awards Damages Against Ministry, Uvwie Council

February 12, 2026
Ebedei Council of Chiefs reacts to Oyemogum’s abuse of power accusation against Delta DPP
Judiciary

Court Slams N300m Damages on Police for Unlawful Arrest of Delta Lawyer

February 4, 2026
Eroding Trust in Judiciary Risks Chaos, Oborevwori Warns at Judges’ Swearing-In
Judiciary

Eroding Trust in Judiciary Risks Chaos, Oborevwori Warns at Judges’ Swearing-In

January 29, 2026
EFCC Files Eight‑Count Charge Against Ngige, Arraignment Set for Friday
Judiciary

EFCC Files Eight‑Count Charge Against Ngige, Arraignment Set for Friday

December 12, 2025
Next Post
Nigeria @ 60: Full text of President Buhari’s nationwide broadcast

Nigeria @ 60: Full text of President Buhari’s nationwide broadcast

Leave Comment

RECENT STORIES

Chaos Rocks Delta South APC Women’s Meeting Over ₦50m ‘Kola-Nut’ Fund

Delta APC Congress Runs Smoothly: No Rift Among Omo-Agege, Ibori, Nwoko, Oborevwori & Okowa — Group Slams Rumour Mongers

February 21, 2026
Oluremi Tinubu’s Feb 26 Visit to Olu of Warri Signals Unity, Strength — Arun Igala in Warri Kingdom

Oluremi Tinubu’s Feb 26 Visit to Olu of Warri Signals Unity, Strength — Arun Igala in Warri Kingdom

February 21, 2026
APC Sapele Congress: Ede Dafinone Declares Party Rift Closed After Consensus Vote

APC Sapele Congress: Ede Dafinone Declares Party Rift Closed After Consensus Vote

February 21, 2026
New Era Begins as ECIU Port Harcourt Branch Elects Wilson Agbuke as President

New Era Begins as ECIU Port Harcourt Branch Elects Wilson Agbuke as President

February 20, 2026
Beyond Passing Laws: Delta Assembly Launches Post-Legislative Scrutiny Department to Ask “Is the Law Working?”

Beyond Passing Laws: Delta Assembly Launches Post-Legislative Scrutiny Department to Ask “Is the Law Working?”

February 20, 2026

TRENDING STORIES

  • Waive Urges Urgent Voter Registration Push as Delta Central Votes Shrink

    House in Uproar: Francis Waive’s Motion on Electoral Act Sparks Fierce Debate

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Grassroots Revolt in Delta North as APC Ward Chairmen Demand Fresh Congress

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • APC Sapele Congress: Ede Dafinone Declares Party Rift Closed After Consensus Vote

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Declared Dead, Found Alive: Nigerian Man Listed as Ukraine War Casualty Resurfaces in Captivity

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Delta Hotel Shut over Alleged Underage Prostitution, Drug Activities

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Local News
    • National
  • Politics
  • Economy
    • Oil and Gas
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • MORE
    • Interview
    • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Science & Tech
    • Videos

NEWSNET NIGERIA Published By: Morex Consult Limited - Since 2020.